Sunday, April 22, 2012


Fuck. 
I love running barefoot. 
Its like taking off a sensory blindfold and suddenly realizing that there is so much more to the ground you walk on. 
Amazing. 
I went ahead and got myself a pair of the Vibram Fivefinger KSO to protect my precious feet from dog piss and glass when I run in the greasy streets of Portland. A very sound investment.




Here they are. Not exactly handsome.

To be frankly honest my first run sans shoes was a difficult one. I was no more than a mile into it when I realized that my new found "forefoot" strike had sent my calves into a state of panic. It's truly amazing what your body gets used to. After years of running with cushy pseudo science shoes my calves, ankles, and feet have atrophied badly. It just goes to show how important it is to allow our bodies the proper form to perform!

Most recent hike:
This is Burnt Meadow Mountain "Range" in Brownfield Maine:

I hiked this pretty place last week and took my shoes off at the summit to enjoy a textural and pleasing descent down the other side of the mountain. The forest floor feels incredible when you put your feet to it and the rocks and roots serve as an intense but important contrast.
Cant wait to hike again...Gotta take the Vibrams!

No comments:

Post a Comment